Holiday Pet Safety
With the addition of the newest member of the family for the Holidays, we are trying to “child proof” the house for safety of all the pets.
At the Twinsburg Vet Hospital and Pet Lodge, where we take our pets, they are providing the following info to help keep pets healthy and safe for the Holidays.
Depending on the dose ingested, chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity, increased thirst and urination, and an increased heart rate.
Candies, or gum, containing the sweetner xylitol can cause a drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures.
Bones can splinter and cause blockage. Greasy, spicy and fatty foods can cause an upset stomach.
Alcohol can cause a pet to go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.
Aluminum foil and cellophane wrappers can cause vomiting and intestinal blockage.
Toxic lilies can cause kidney failure in cats.
Mistletoe and holly berries can cause gastrointestinal upset (vomiting, nausea, diarrhea) cardiovascular problems and lethargy.
Poinsettias are considered very low in toxicity but might cause mild vomiting or nausea.
Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers that can upset a pet’s stomach. Stagnant water can also be a breeding ground for bacteria.
Decorations like ribbons or tinsel can become lodged in intestines and cause obstruction.
When having a festive Holiday, take time to check around to help protect all the members of the “family.” For more info we encourage checking out the “web” for other hints and tips and we provide this link to just one of the many sites you can find.